You probably already have it marked on your calendar, but in case you didn’t, June is Accordion Awareness Month. The “holiday” was established in 1989 by San Franciscan Tom Torriglia to promote and educate people about the accordion, as well as help spread the word about the accordion’s resurgence in popularity. (Tom was also instrumental — pun intended — in getting the accordion named San Francisco’s official instrument in 1990.)
“But how do I celebrate Accordion Awareness Month?” Here are some ideas:
- Attend an event on the Let’s Polka accordion calendar.
- Wear tank tops all month. Explain that you’re showing off the muscles you’ve built through years of squeezing bellows.
- Make a YouTube video of yourself playing the accordion. Become an Internet celebrity overnight.
- Give the gift that keeps on giving: accordion lessons (in person or online).
- Change your ringtone to “Lady of Spain.”
How are you celebrating the best month of the year? Leave a comment and let us know.